When I set out to create a portfolio, I was aware of the fact that a portfolio for user experience is a bit of a weird thing because at least 70% of the work done cannot be shown, and 100% of the work cannot be attributed to just one person. All this in the midst of NDAs and ‘company secrets’.
So I decided to create my portfolio as a project. I was going to use one of my favorite tools, Axure to create it. The portfolio was going to be a fluid, present continuous work. I was going to do user research by observing how people (recruiters, friends, peers, prospective employers) interacted with it. I wrote about the first iteration here;
So what did I learn from the first iteration?
1. It is easier on a mobile device to go UP-DOWN than side ways (hold your phone and move your thumb)
2. Carousels don’t work for interviews, because people like to know upfront what options are available to them. Clicking next, next, next can deaden the mood.
3. It is better to stick to a small number of projects which point to certain aspects of work e.g A mobile project, a desktop project, service design, a project you led, a project you had the most challenge e.t.c
4. Got to talk with really helpful UX leads who advised to add bits like My process and other relevant things which they would want to know about.
5. I left the adaptive framework behind because, most of the viewing was done on desktop and 1024 x 768 tablet screen, (the portfolio was irrelevant on a smartphone)
6. Created illustrations in Omnigraffle (which I will blog about soon) just to show that these tools can be useful for a large number of things.
Here’s the recent iteration, a bit of a change eh, I do prefer a lighter theme, so that might come in the next version.
Again, can’t wait for next lessons!
In the mean time, I’ve recorded a course with Digital Tutors on Creating Responsive + Adaptive Layout in Axure, check it out!