A popular topic on my blog is the MBTI, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which tries to explain certain aspects of our personality. I saw a conversation which mentioned it was ‘Old school’ funny.
When I learned about and took the MBTI in 2010 while at university, it was like wow, here was a description that fit me to the T. 90% of the time when I take the test, I report INFJ. It explained some of the inner workings of my mind, how I took in and processed information. It explained the discomfort I felt towing the line between your typical introvert and extraverted types – I wanted to be alone with my thoughts but still sought out people. My interests and likes being very broad and seemingly never being able to fit in with a particular group, I was always looking for my ‘tribe’.
The MBTI instrument is good, but it is not the good. I would apply this is to any so called personality type tests. They do not have the final say on who we are, on who we shape ourselves to be everyday. This is because there are two important things that matter in our world that the MBTI cannot account for.
1. Our motivations, our will
2. Subsequent behavior and how we relate to the world around us ( esp the living things)
This was when I realized that we needed something truly transformative not merely descriptive. We can’t rely on the descriptions because we change, because they can be self fulfilling, this must be the way I am, so what? what does it mean for the next person?, does it mean you cannot change if there is a negative element?’
This is why I find the truth of God’s word important to hold strongly on to.
- We are all made equal, have the same worth and value regardless of what we do or not do. (Genesis 1:26-30)
- Our will and motivations are prone to corruption so we need a new source to fuel it (Psalm 51:5, Romans 3:23)
- Love is the only viable source for our will and motivations – Love for God and our neighbours. (Matthew 22:36-40)
- God has made a way so we can have a new spirit and a new heart through Jesus manifesting in the flesh (Ezekiel 36:26, John 3:5)
- These will lead us to act in ways that seek the good for people and give God the glory deserved. (Romans 12)
I’ve recently done a refresher on what the MBTI type dynamics are and yes, INFJ still holds true in many ways but what is most important is that I can praise the Lord for making me who I am, and that I can love others through the unique way God has made me! Amen!